Who is Ernie?


The new guy at work is wearing a red and blue striped shirt, shorts, and sneakers. With his messy black hair and that goofy smile on his facem he is a dead ringer for Ernie from Sesame Street. Seriously, if you saw a photo of Ernie and then saw this guy in real life you'd swear he is Ernie!

Fired!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Ernie has been let go.

There were no special theatics, no tantrums, no blood-thirsty fights to the death. Ernie was simply part of the world's troubling economy. Well, someone did pour ten dollars worth of pennies on top of his car a couple of hours before he left, but, that was expected. It was also a thoughtful gift for someone who's unemployed.

We still keep in touch. Every few weeks I send him a text:

JAKE: "How are you doing?"

ERNIE: "Good, man. How are you?"

JAKE: "I'm great! How's school?"

He doesn't respond.

I am left to assume Ernie is doing his best working toward a degree in music (he decided a few months ago to alter his career path from economist to drum soloist). Go Ernie, go!

Mr. McFeely moved to another part of the building so I don't really see him anymore. Kenny G. is still here. The other day he showed me a fortune he got from a Chinese cookie. It reads: "Don't Panic." He dabbed some highlighter markers on a napkin and splashed water over it to create a hippie-esque backdrop and framed the fortune cookie message. It's hanging on his cubicle wall.

"Don't Panic," he whispers in shadow from behind his jazzy sunglasses. "How cool is that?"

"It's cool," I assure the man and slowly back away.

The truth is, the Ernie blog has come to an end. It was a fun adventure while it lasted and I only wish Ernie was still here for me to write about. I also wish he and his wife were OK with me writing about him.

Oh well. I have my sights on another co-worker who's a little wackier than Ernie so I'll do my best to write a blog in secret without her catching on. I'll post the link here in the coming weeks. You've been warned!

Peace out.

Here is the link: http://tunnelscene.blogspot.com/

No comments: