Who is Ernie?


The new guy at work is wearing a red and blue striped shirt, shorts, and sneakers. With his messy black hair and that goofy smile on his facem he is a dead ringer for Ernie from Sesame Street. Seriously, if you saw a photo of Ernie and then saw this guy in real life you'd swear he is Ernie!

Giggle Buddies

Friday, August 15, 2008

For awhile, Ernie considers sitting next to me at work. After very careful consideration, he decides not to due mostly to his fear that we might giggle too much.

I like to think there are a handful of “giggle relationships” in everyone's lives. You know the type- two people get together and chuckle for absolutely no reason whatsoever. My brother and I are like that. (I would re-print some of our text messages here but they are too explicit. For example, we think it’s hilarious to joke about having sex with our Mom. You should see the looks we get. Few people find it amusing.) We also tickle fight.

I recall a time when Ernie helped me move some furniture. We almost dropped a very heavy armoire and a 3-piece couch down the stairs due to hysterical fits of mirth. What was so funny? I have no idea. Probably nothing. Or perhaps it was that goofy Muppet-esque look on Ernie’s mug.

“This is a nice place you’ve got here.” Ernie says rather casually.

“Thanks,” I reply. “Wanna buy it?”

“Nope.”

Then the sniggers start. At one point, I suggest sitting down on a long piece of the couch while Ernie heaves it on his back up the stairs. We laugh so hard that we miscalculate a crucial turn and remove a large chunk of drywall from the family room. Hilarious! By the time we finish trudging two heavy office desks up a steep concrete set of stairs, we are crying from laughter. We stop several times and catch our breaths. It takes forever to get the job done, but somehow we do it.

The gaiety stops when Ernie’s wife calls. I make it a point to talk loudly about having a sweaty male-on-Muppet orgy in the background. Ernie doesn’t see the humor and threatens to leave if I don't shut my trap. Yikes! His eyes are wide with fright.

Giggle buddies are the best friends (and relatives) to have. They make life a little more enjoyable and help pass the time. Even if the humor is lost on innocent bystanders, it's still shared between two blundering goofs.


Listen to the audio recording here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/jakespage/MyErnieBlog_Giggle_Buddies.mp3

1 comment:

kjmitchell715 said...

Sometimes Reed and I are like that. But usually it's just me giggling AT him. Because he LOOKS funny....